Friday 29 August 2014

Cats and worms

by Robert the Cat











This is utterly embarrassing. Jacob brings home earthworms.

You must have realized by now that my brother Jacob indeed is a few fries short of a happy meal. 

Earthworms are fabulous creatures. They don't belong on the living room floor. They should do their work in the garden. 



What they do best is fertilizing and aerating the soil. They eat old stuff, such as fallen leaves and dead plants, dig themselves down (creating tiny wholes for fresh air to get through and down to the roots of plants), then they poo and that means food for the plants. If you have a compost, they help turning any dead vegetable into nutrient-rich soil.

But my brother, he fetches them and brings them into our house. He doesn't know how silly he looks coming inside, head and tail held high with a squirming worm in his mouth. 

I suppose something must have gone wrong in his early childhood. I mean, really, as we arrived at the house (no cat flap here back then - I surely would have taken off if there had been one), and Jacob just happily walked around. 

I just sat there, not even checking things out. I mean they dumped me on the floor and there was no mom or dad or feedingPerson anywhere. 

I felt abandoned. And there goes my silly brother, strutting about happy as ever. 

When we were a few months old I had kinda accepted my faith (now I'm really happy here, as myPerson is an excellent feedingPerson). 

Jacob and I used to love to play with hair bands when we were little. Jacob still does. You'd never believe we're brothers, as he is silly all the time whilst my silliest trick is the school-bag-trick I mentioned earlier. Here's how refined it can get:

Well I'm no Einstein but I'm a cat. Cat's don't really have nine lives, we just intuitively understand basic physics. And that's more than many humans do.

Again, Jacob might be an exception. He doesn't know that what goes up must come down (I think this is not from Einstein, though -it's probably Newton). 

The havoc Jacob created on a Mother's Day will stay in our memories forever. It could have been prevented with simple physics understanding. But I'll tell you about that day an other time. 

Now I must run off to help myPerson with the filing.





-Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment